Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tales of Beedle the Bard

Title: Tales of Beedle the Bard
Author: J.K. Rowling
Number of Pages: 111 (big margins and text...and pictures)
Publication Year: 2008

Summary: "The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers' attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger's new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales." (Taken from the Baldwin Public Library Catalog)

Review: From an avid Harry Potter fan, this is a pretty good book. It took about two hours to read. Basically a bunch of wizarding fairy tales. I'll admit, I felt a little bit like J.K. Rowling felt the need to whap me upside the head, yelling, "hey, you, here's the moral of this story, ya dweeb", everytime that I read Dumbledore's commentary, but the small insights into wizarding history balanced out my dismay and lulled me into that familiar Harry Potter endorphin rush that I've missed so much. Overall a good book.

Sidenote: If you haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, you might not like it very much.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment